If you are a cancer patient fighting for your life, the last thing you should have to worry about is where you’re going to stay when receiving treatment and how you’re going to pay for it.
Fortunately, for patients traveling to Kansas City for cancer treatment, the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge is available to lessen the financial burden on families, as well as to provide a supportive environment for cancer patients and their caregivers.
According to Sarah Freyman, Hope Lodge Assistant Director, the concentration of cancer treatment facilities here results in many patients coming into the city who have special lodging needs.
“Many patients require daily treatment for multiple weeks, and staying in a hotel for that long would be extremely expensive,” said Freyman.
“The American Cancer Society Hope Lodge is an excellent choice for these patients, not just because they can stay with a caregiver at no cost, but also because they will be with others going through the very same thing. That support can be invaluable,” she said.
About Hope Lodge
The average length of stay at the Hope Lodge in Kansas City is 15 nights. Each of the 45 guest rooms at the Lodge has a private bath and sleeping accommodations for two. There are also community dining, kitchen and recreational areas. In addition, each floor has a day room and guest laundry with 24-hour access.
The Kansas City Hope Lodge hosted 1,677 different patients and their caregivers in 2014, completely free of charge. The Kansas City facility is one of 31 Hope Lodges in 22 states.
For more information on the Hope Lodge or any of the American Cancer Society programs, call the organization 24 hours a day at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
Kansas City Hope Lodge
1120 Pennsylvania Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64105
816-218-7200 | www.cancer.org
The Kansas City Hope Lodge
• Built in 2000 as new construction in Quality Hill, Hope Lodge is a program under the American Cancer Society, specifically as a hospitality house.
• Hope Lodge received 1,677 arrivals in 2014. The lodge saves cancer patients thousands of dollars in lodging costs.
• A guest stay ranges from one night to a year or more. Current average stay is 15 nights.
• We serve patients from 26 area cancer treatment centers. KU Med, St. Luke’s, KCCC are the top referrers.
• Cancer patients who have to travel 40 miles to treatment are eligible to stay at Hope Lodge. Some guests come as far as Hawaii and California.
• We house bone marrow transplant patients. The BMT doctors in KC insist that they stay at Hope Lodge at least for the first 30 – 100 days after transplant.
• It costs approximately $1,000 per day to operate Hope Lodge.
• The Lodge is donor supported. Hope Lodge has one annual distinguished fundraiser called Shave to Save.