By Coach Lucy DelSarto, WEC, TCOY (Take Care of You) Wellness –
Having a stressful day? Feel like you could scream or hit something? I’ve got a great suggestion. Head to a racquetball court for a workout and those frustrations will fade away!
A Great Outlet for Stress and to Burn Calories
Time flies and you are living in the moment when playing racquetball. All the stress of your day is left behind. Racquetball becomes a “Calgon Take Me Away” retreat; however, instead of relaxing in bubbles, you are burning calories and releasing tension and stress. The most common contributor to disease risk factors is stress, and since stress is inevitable in life, it’s crucial that we learn how to manage it. Without an outlet for stress, the body will suffer physically, mentally and emotionally.
Racquetball Teaches Life Skills
For more than three decades, I have enjoyed playing and coaching racquetball. My passion and enthusiasm is due, in part, to the many physical and psychological benefits the sport provides. Racquetball teaches many life skills, which include: discipline, determination, respect, courtesy, strategic thinking, persistence and more.
How often do we make a decision and have to wait for the results? The reaction to a shot in a racquetball game is immediate, followed by another quick decision, then another shot and another decision. I’m talking immediate gratification! Do you love multi-tasking or feel like you have ADD or ADHD? A game of racquetball is the perfect challenge because you make hundreds of split-second decisions during an hour match. There is never a dull moment.
The sport requires basic equipment such as a racquet, a ball, and eye protection. A player can practice alone and play singles, doubles or cut-throat (3 people). I recommend taking a few lessons or participating in a racquetball clinic to learn the fundamental strokes and avoid injuries. The added bonus of lessons is being introduced to players at the same skill level.
A Lifetime Sport
Another great point – racquetball is a lifetime sport. Personally, I’ve coached students from as young as four and as old as eighty-one. If you think you are too old, heed the advice my eighty-one year old client who meets with me weekly: “Find something you can enjoy and keep active. I enjoy racquetball.” – Larry
For All Ages and Skill Levels
Players can choose to play recreationally or competitively. Whether a beginner or an advanced player, fun and good times draw people to the sport. All ages and skill levels can enjoy this sport; even the first workout can be fun. Racquetball is the ultimate energy booster that is good for your head, heart and body! Join the fun and take advantage of personal training with my racquetball lessons (individual or clinics).
Currently, I am instructing a number of Women Only Clinics and I asked them to share their thoughts. Some of the ladies played many years ago and have decided to return to the courts; others are taking it up for the first time.
– “It’s so much fun, you forget you’re getting a workout! A great way to burn lots of calories!”
– I’m over 50 and haven’t played in 30+ years, but I’m loving playing again. It feels so good to sweat and have fun at the same time. Makes me feel like a kid again!!
– One of things I love about racquetball is the energy booster it truly is! Who needs 5 Hour Energy when you can get the same with a game of racquetball. Between you cheering us on and the enthusiasm of fellow learners, racquetball truly lifts both my energy and spirits and I feel I can easily conquer the rest of my week!
– “I had not played racquetball in years and Coach Lucy is so enthusiastic about wellness, I had to give it a try. It is an amazing opportunity to exercise without even knowing it.”
– I signed up for a racquetball clinic because it’s a break from my usual exercise routine. Instead of running on the treadmill or taking a step class, racquetball, to me, is more effective. I would encourage others to try something a little different in their exercise routine.”
– “The racquetball clinic is a great way to learn the basics and it also gives you the chance to play with a group who are at your same skill level. Not only can you learn and grow as a player, but it is fun to watch everyone else improve as well. Lucy is a great coach. She strikes the right balance between technical mentoring, enthusiasm and encouragement.”
– “Racquetball is a fun way to get a good cardio workout no matter what fitness level you are at.”
– 52 year old Laura
Clinics Now Forming!
For clinic information or to schedule individual lessons, please call Coach Lucy at 913-709-6059 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucy Kupish DelSarto, WEC
Lucy founded TCOY (Take Care of You) Wellness in 1999. She is a former Professional Athlete ranked in the “Top 16” in the world on the Women’s Pro Racquetball Tour with 30+ years of coaching, including four years at Stanford University. Lucy remains active in racquetball mentoring and competing in the top men’s divisions and has held the Kansas Women’s Open Singles Title since 1999.
Lucy provides on-on-one and group coaching, Company Wellness Programs and Lunch-n-Learns. She is a Key Note Speaker, Blogger, Writer and Wellness Ambassador. Her soon-to-be-released book, Action Required, is a guide that applies to all areas of life. Included in the book is her poem, “All I Needed To Know I Learned On The Court.”