ips to avoid illness and stay healthy this holiday season.
No one wants to be sick during the holidays!
One of the best ways to avoid illness is to keep your hands clean. Follow these tips to stay healthy.
When should you wash your hands?
• Before, during, and after preparing food
• Before eating food
• Before and after caring for someone who is sick
• Before and after treating a cut or wound
• After using the toilet
• After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
• After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
• After touching an animal or animal waste
• After handling pet food or pet treats
• After touching garbage
What is the right way to wash your hands?
• Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold) and apply soap.
• Rub your hands together to make a lather and scrub them well; be sure to scrub the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
• Continue rubbing your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end, twice.
• Rinse your hands well under running water.
• Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
• If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol to clean hands.